We will collect and use individual user details only where we have a legitimate reason and are legally entitled to do so in accordance with data privacy laws including the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), and from the 25th May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the Regulation). For the purposes of the Act/ Regulation, the Data Controller for the Doorstep Library website is Doorstep Library Network, 3rd Floor 158 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1W 9TR. Doorstep Library Network is a registered charitable incorporated organisation (Charity No: 1158197).
What information will Doorstep Library Network collect?
- We collect information through your use of the Doorstep Library website www.doorsteplibrary.org.uk, including when you register with the Doorstep Library website, make a donation, complete a volunteer or other online application form, sign up to our e-newsletter, Twitter feed, Facebook or Instagram.
- Apart from recruitment and volunteer application processes, which may request detailed personal and/or sensitive information from you, the information retained by us will usually be your name, contact details, bank account details to process donations and whether or not you are a UK tax payer so that we can claim gift aid. Where we request other sensitive personal data from you, we will provide you with clear notice of this and an explanation as to why the information is needed.
- Please be aware that if you contact us by telephone, letter, fax, email or via a social media website (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram), we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Please note, in order to monitor browsing activity and user patterns, we may also retain details of your visits to our site including traffic data, location data, web logs and other communication data and the resources that you access. We may also collect information about your computer, such as your IP address, which is a unique identification number allocated to each individual computer or other network device.
How will Doorstep Library Network store my personal information?
- We use the information we collect about you in order to understand more about how our website is used, and to be able to send you communications that may be of interest to you.
- All the information you provide to us will be stored on secure servers and any payment transactions will be encrypted. We will do our best to protect your personal data, however we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, for example we will keep a record of donations for at least six years.
How will Doorstep Library Network use my personal information?
- We will use your personal information in a number of ways including:
(a) To monitor and improve the services we offer on our website.
(b) To provide you with information or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have agreed to receive it.
(c) To respond to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, fax, social media or other means and contact you in relation to donations, application forms or other online content you have signed up for.
(d) To notify you about any changes or updates to our service that may affect you.
Will Doorstep Library Network disclose my information to anyone?
- We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was obtained, unless you have given us your permission to share that information with others. With your permission, we will only share your information with selected third parties.
- We will keep your personal data confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing) or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Doorstep Library, our users, or other third parties.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to user needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Access to information
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998, and from the 25th May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us: Doorstep Library Network, 3rd Floor 158 Buckingham Palace Road, London, SW1W 9TR.
Legal information and contacting us